Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What's a Tree-Hugger Doing Here?

Hi! My name is Small Footprints. The owners of this wonderful blog asked me to stop by and share a few minutes with you. I own a blog called Reduce Footprints (RF) … it’s all about the easy ways that we can each walk a little gentler on the earth. At RF we talk about all kinds of things … Eco-friendly moisturizers, the best and worst shaving methods … and we even post vegan recipes occasionally.

Now, you might be wondering how a “tree-hugger” got asked to post something here on an artisan site. Well, my passion for green living lead me to make earrings … not just any earrings … but earrings fashioned from recycled jewelry. I was so proud of myself and thought that I had invented something new. But … as I got acquainted with the members of Artisans/Jewelry Designers LTD, I realized that quite a few handmade items started out as something else. The artisans, here, are brilliant at reusing and repurposing. And that is one of the cornerstones of green living … finding uses for things rather than tossing them into a landfill.

Once I started making earrings, I posted them in my hubby’s Etsy shop … he’s an artist who creates a painting a day (or most days). But just posting something there didn’t do much for sales … in fact … it didn’t do anything. So, I started promoting and promoting. As many of you no doubt know, it’s tough to make a sale. I jump at every opportunity to show off our work … but still … it’s a hard road to travel.

So one day as I was considering posts for RF, I thought (always a dangerous thing) … what if I featured artisans in a winter shopping directory? And what if I limited it to only artisans who offer handmade items? Maybe we could all get a little visibility. And that’s how my Winter Shopping Extravaganza was born.





It’s a way that we can feature our work and … it’s green because we won’t be wasting gas running from store to store for that perfect item. We can just sit back, in the comfort of our homes, and shop.

So that’s my story. I hope you like the idea … and if you do, I’m collecting links to sites that sell handmade items. Then, on November 27th, the largest shopping day of the year, I’ll unveil the winter directory. Oh … and it won’t just stay live for the holidays … it’ll stay live for the entire winter so that people can shop for every occasion. Interested? Just click HERE and you’ll magically be transported to the Extravaganza. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Great addition to our blog! Wasn't so hard! Thank you for your time and effort and I like having a "tree hugger" here. It reminds me to repurpose things when I design jewelry! Kuddos to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete